Black Bear to Ophir
Rating: Intermediate to Difficult
Black Bear Pass is easily the most intimidating trail in the area. Black Bear growls more than it bites. The trail itself is not difficult, but it is technical. There is no room for mistakes and trusting your spotter and trail leader is paramount. 90% of this trail is nothing more than an easy drive in one of the most photographed area of the country. The other 10% is a very tight descent along one-way switchbacks into town. This is a trail that when finished, leaves you with a sense of accomplishment and elation. Our advice to newcomers is to always include Black Bear on your trail list. This is a bucket-list item. Don’t miss it. We will return to Ironton via either Ophir.